Shillong, March 17: The Centre has extended the time for filing online applications for Common University Entrance Test (CUET) till March 30.
After the cabinet meeting, Commissioner and Secretary, Education department BDR Tewari said the Centre only extended the date for filing of online applications to March 30 from March 12.
Cabinet Minister and government spokesperson Paul Lyngdoh said the government is in favour of Meghalaya getting exemption from CUET.
He said the new government will follow up the matter.
Earlier on March 7, Chief Minister Conrad Sangma had written a letter to the Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan to exempt Meghalaya.
“The state of Meghalaya has recently undergone a Legislative Assembly election, the results of which have been declared last week. This has resulted in the delay of State Board examination and in this regard, students are facing unprecedented challenges to attempt the CUET for the state level under graduate institutions,” Conrad had said in the letter.
Education Minister Rakkam Sangma recently said the state government is yet to receive any reply from the Centre.
In May last year, the Centre had exempted Meghalaya.
The state government hopes that with the state university in Tura which will be functional soon, the issue of CUET will be addressed.