Shillong, Nov 3: The state government has issued show cause notice to the officer in-charge of Shallang police station and warnings to inspectors who are allegedly facilitating illegal coal mining.
The chairman of the High Court-appointed committee, BP Katakey said the government had communicated in the last meeting on October 12 that a show cause notice was issued to the OC of Shallang besides warnings to the inspectors.
“I am waiting for further response from the government in this regard “, Katakey said.
The decision was following the 17th report submitted to the court on September 26 by Katakey.
The government assured action against the SPs too, he added.
The next meeting will be held on November 8 and Katakey hopes to get a response from the government regarding the SPs and others.
Portions of 17th report of Katakey
Below is the stand of the state government in September when Katakey had sought action.
STATUS OF SHOW CAUSE NOTICES ISSUED AND DISCIPLINARY PROCEEDINGS INITIATED AGAINST THE POLICE OFFICERS BY THE DIRECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE, MEGHALAYA :
9.1 Show Cause Notices have been issued to the following 10 (ten) Superintendents of Police by the Director General of Police, all dated 18th May, 2023, asking them to reply within 24 hours of receiving the notice, the explanation for their failure to prevent illegal coal mining activities including transportation:
Name of the Officers
1.Sylvester Nongtnger, IPS ( SP, East Khasi Hills)
2. Siddhart Kumar Ambedkar, IPS ( SP, East Garo Hills)
3. Jagpal Singh Dhanoa, IPS ( SP, East Jaintia Hills)
4. Shailendra Bamaniya, IPS ( SP, North Garo Hills)
5. Girl Prasad M, IPS ( SP, Ri Bhoi)
6. Maxwell B. Sylem, IPS (SP, Eastern West Khasi Hills)
7. G.D. Kharwanlang, MPS ( SP, South West Khasi Hills)
8. A.T. Sangma, MPS ( SP, South Garo Hills, Baghmara
9. C. Syrti, MPS ( SP, West Jaintia Hills )
10. BD. Marak ( SP , West Khasi Hills)
The DGP had also issued show cause notices to 18 inspectors.
Though action was taken against three officers-in charge of Shallang police station, they were reinstated later.
According to an official source, police representative had informed Katakey about initiation of departmental action against the present OC of Shallang police station.
The governmet apprised Katakey about warning issued to the Inspectors of Police from whom explanations were asked for.
The government has also apprised that no decision on the replies given by the Superintendents of Police, from whom explanations were asked for, is yet to be taken.
Sources said that Katakey directed the representative of the police to provide the following information within 15 days.
1. Copy of the show ause notice issued to the O/C Shallang PS and the reply, if any, received.
2. Copies of the replies given by the Inspectors of Police, from whom explanations were asked for, and the copies of the orders passed by the competent authority on the same.
3. Copies of the replies, if any, submitted by the Superintendents of Police, from whom explanations were asked for.
4. A report on all the aspects should be submitted by the government on or before November 5.