Govt to do final touches in 2 pc of disputed border areas

Shillong, Jan 27: Chief Minister Conrad Sangma said solution has been arrived at in 98 per cent of border areas in the first phase under dispute and differences in the remaining 2 per cent will be resolved soon.

Briefing reporters after the cabinet meeting on Thursday, the chief minister said the cabinet was briefed about the status of the border issue.


When asked about the remaining 2 percentage, the chief minister clarified that it is not that there are major differences but both Assam and Meghalaya have to go through the reports and match them.  There are claims and counter claims in some pactches.

Assam and Meghalaya will meet once again to finalise the deal.

The union home minister is also expected to meet both Assam and Meghalaya chief ministers end of this month or early next month in New Delhi to take a decision.

Cong stand downplayed

In response to a question on criticism of the Congress about the border talks, the chief minister said the Congress had the opportunity to resolve the issue but no steps were taken..

He, however, added that the past governments had followed up the matter and he does not want to blame anyone.

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Kindly Disable Ad Blocker