Shillong, July 11:After most of the power projects were scrapped, the government is exploring to tie up with the North Eastern Electric Power Corporation Limited (NEEPCO) and other central PSUs to generate power.
Deputy Chief Minister in-charge power, Prestone Tynsong told reporters on Monday that after the MoUs were signed and then scrapped , the issue of entrusting power projects is being taken care of by the government.
Earlier on April 20, the state government had cancelled the Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) signed with private developers for implementation of four power projects which include Kynshi stage-I & II hydroelectric projects.
He said the decision was taken after the private developers were not interested to proceed further. However, there are one or two private developers who are still interested in taking up the projects.
He recalled that in 2007, MoUs were signed with these private developers but “till today we did not see a single project signed between the government and the private developers executed as nothing happened.”
“So recently, I have done a review meeting with them and most of them I have already cancelled the projects as there is no point as few of them like NEEPCO and few private investors who really showed their keen interest and few projects are on the pipeline,” Tynsong said.
On the financial loss after scrapping the projects, the deputy chief minister said, “Not necessarily, when we signed the MoU with the private developers I think it is for them to take care as we have not spent a single paise in fact they are the ones who are ultimately the losers. Therefore, from the government side we have nothing to lose financially but of course may be the only issue is the timing – instead of offering to other capable private investors or may be the central government public undertakings who are interested to invest in the state of Meghalaya.”